Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

APIM bad and bought one on ebay - Ford dealership said they can't program - HELP

We have a 2012 Ford Focus and the APIM module it bad. We bought a used one and Ford dealership said they couldn't reprogram it because we didn't buy it from Ford. A new one is $1200!!!! I bought a used one for $80. The radio has can turn on and plays one station. Is there someway this will work or are we stuck with one station or have to spend $1200 for a new one?

The main problem is no radio for the car. It's stuck on one station and wont move.

Any help will be a great help.
Also we were told they just couldnt put a After Market radio in.

OP
L
Thread Starter #3
The radio is locked. It will move to the setting screen but when you touch anything on the screen it does not respond. Originally the radio went out and the screen blank. We took it to a Ford Dealership and the said the APiM was bad. We ordered an APiM with the ID the a Tech gave us from eBay and got it installed. The screen now turns on and is stuck on 1 station. It touch screen will not respond. We will do without the MyTouch information but would like a radio. I tried the instructions that was given to do a Master Reset but once you get to the screen that says System you can touch but nothing responds.

OP
L
Thread Starter #5
We bought it as a salvage vehicle. Someone bought it, fixed it up and the sold it to us. We knew it was a salvage and has driven great for over a year then this happened.

So if your car has a salvaged title they won't honor the TSB? Have you tried calling another dealer and asking them to fix the TSB?

OP
L
Thread Starter #8
I found this on the net. "Salvage title: If your car was in a severe accident and was given a salvage title or declared a total loss, your entire warranty is voided."

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Saleen Focus, '17 Focus RS
I don't think the dealer will know if its salvaged.

OP
L
Thread Starter #10
Unfortunately they can tell by the VIN number. When I bought it in to check the radio they called me and told me the car was salvaged.

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Saleen Focus, '17 Focus RS
Unfortunately they can tell by the VIN number. When I bought it in to check the radio they called me and told me the car was salvaged.
Well that sucks.

OP
L
Thread Starter #12
We have a 2012 Ford Focus with Mytouch. The radio went out and we took it to a Ford Dealership. They told us the APIM was out and needed a new one. The Tech on hand looked up our VIN number and gave us a model number that we matched on a ebay sale. We installed the APIM that we got on ebay and the screen turned on but is stuck on 1 station. We took it to the Ford Dealership and they tried but couldn't program it. We were then told we would have to purchase an APIM from Ford for $1200 for the radio and Mytouch to work. I have viewed other videos where someone purchased an APIM and installed it and works fine. What is our problem? HELP!!!!!

https://youtu.be/X0xFn40f5KM

OP
L
Thread Starter #14
I don't know. The salvage yard that I bought it from said they "tested" it and would exchange it for a new one. I don't know what testing means. It does turn on but that's it and I heard they are pretty fragile. I am trying to see if I can fix this one because taking it out is a bother in itself.