Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Soft Clutch?

City
north salt lake
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta SE
Hello,

I am new to this form but have had a Fiesta for a while. I think my clutch went out yesterday and I am wondering if it isn't something more simple like it just doesn't have anymore fluid and that is why it is soft..? when I pump the clutch a few times really quick I can get it to shift from gear to gear but i have to go from 1st to neutral to 2nd to neutral to 3rd pumping in-between each shift any ideas on if this is actually a bad clutch or just something simple? occasionally it will slip out of gear but not that often. if yall could let me know that would be great

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
IT could be the transmission itself the synchronizers are not "working" with the shaft they turn on. So if the Clutch is plugged or needs fluid - you can bleed it - it just needs a (I believe they are pretty much the same hydraulic ring piston - on mine I use a 13mm) a simple wrench some clear PVC tubing and someone willing to press and hold the clutch while you bleed it down to get air out of it - treat it like you're bleeding brakes, Open, press down and hold, Close valve reset pedal to top and do it all over again until the clutch can recover and no bubbles appear.

But you have a 2012 - so check the bottom of the transmission housing - look for wetting of fluid before you do this - it may be from a seal in the piston "ring seal" - it could fail You'll need a new clutch and throwout bearing and the piston assembly - the whole kit and kaboodle