Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

ERG Motor 3 fail

City
Eden
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2003 ZX5
Scan of my 2003 Focus ZX5 with 2.3 Is showing ERG motor 1,2,&4 are fine but EGR motor 3 fail. As far as I can tell there is one EGR valve. So where are "motors". Thanks in advance. Location of EGR valve would also be helpful. Pretty sure I know where it is. Would like to confirm.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Take a look at this Vid on YT.

The video describes the condition of Motor 3 - which in most instances - is the Needle and Seat the EGR valve has to let specific amounts of Exhaust gas to recirculate - the other 3 motors are related to Throttle - Air Bypass inlet and EVAP which work in conjunction with EGR to keep emissions in tolerance.

So this may mean a replacement of that Valve versus trying to refurb it due to the "temper" effect - the hot exhaust will force these alloys to become brittle and non functional Part of the failure is the Gasket bears the brunt of the heat flame of the hot exhaust and so fails and generates leaks in high vacuum conditions of deceleration that makes the system see a lean condition it can't compensate for - it makes the exhaust even hotter due to the air leaking into the system uncontrolled thru that gasket that makes the metal become tempered and brittle - affects the motors own bearings - losing the ability to work in such environments.

The valve is bolted to the engine in the saddle section on engine - "Saddle" being that section where the output of the crankshaft meets the input of the transmission housing - so that "Gap" then holds the EGR which pipes the Exhaust thru the cylinder head into the valve and thru into a port in the intake manifold - leading to the throttle body