Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

2014 Focus Timing not Right

City
Newberg
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Focus
I have a 126k mile Focus with the 2.0 with VVT. I had to pull the harmonic balancer since the timing cover was broken. I was expecting a key way when I went to put it back together. However, I screwed up and it ran but pulled up the cam timing codes. 0340 etc.

I have since read up on the procedure and got the car timed correctly using the timing pin and locked the cams to TDC. The car is now timed with a new timing chain, chain guides and harmonic balancer bolt. The bolt is torque correctly. However, the car is a dog under 3k RPM. It pulls good after that. It is still giving me the DTC timing codes.

I figured it was the VVT system, so I replaced the VVT solenoids, cam adjustors, cam sensors and crankshaft sensors.

If the car is timed correctly and all of the VVT system has been replaced what else can it be?

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
How is the oil pressure?

When something like this catastrophic condition occurs, the reason for the lack or loss of torque is usually due to poor oil pressure or a collapsed oil filter.

The VOLUME of oil needs to get to the timing chain area to flood the chamber to move the cams - so the solenoid that does that needs to be checked, you seem to have done that already - but also check the oil pressure - if it's too low the volume of oil needed to make the cam move (the advance part) there simply isn't enough pressure to accomplish it.

OP
City
Newberg
State
OR
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Ford Focus
Thread Starter #3
Interesting, the oil pressure has been fine. I have changed the oil with a good synthetic oil, the recommend 5W20. I have also replaced the filter with a Napa Gold. I have not had any issue with the oil pressure.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Ok, can you take one of the VVT solenoids off and compare port sizes?

IT may not leak oil, but does the solenoid port size - are they big enough to let the oil flow into the cam gears for that advance?

IF it can't get the volume up there - the advance doesn't occur until there is enough oil to push the cam to make the advance work.

This is what made me think of oil pressure first - not enough to get the volume up there to move the cam.

If the cam can't pressurize correctly - is it because the porting of the solenoid you're using is off compared to the OEM?