Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

Wheel Bearing?

lvrbn94

I own a 2005 Ford Focus ZX4, is it super common for them to have problems with wheel bearings? Sounds like an airplane taking off? I've already replaced both rear ones, but I'm having awful road noise in the front of my car and that's what I think it might be. My tires are only a year or two old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Saleen Focus, '17 Focus RS
On my 2005 I've only had to replace it once, but it wouldn't hurt do replace it if you think its making noise.

Here's a how-to video.
[video=youtube;g8grIP_zCDg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8grIP_zCDg[/video]

How are your tires? sometime they get Feathered /Cupped when not rotated properly , that can make the noise as well. slide your hand across the tires treads front to back, does your hand tend to bump parts of the tread on one direction? make sure you check inside and outside edges of the tire as well.

What I Drive
2007 Ford Focus SES
I own a 2005 Ford Focus ZX4, is it super common for them to have problems with wheel bearings? Sounds like an airplane taking off? I've already replaced both rear ones, but I'm having awful road noise in the front of my car and that's what I think it might be. My tires are only a year or two old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the same problem on the pass. side. When I said that to the owner, we both laughed as loud as possible. Yes it's a wheel bearing. If you raise the car, you'll see it is the bearing by checking for freeplay