Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

Technical Questions

ChaosXIII

Hey guys,
So my 2003 Focus rally car has the beginnings of some transmission issues. For all of the build of the focus I had issues with shifting into 3rd gear. I could get in with no issues at low revs but at high revs it would ground, but at the last rally on the 2nd stage at high revs I could not get into 3rd gear. I suspect it is the synchro. I need to start thinking about swapping in a transmission while I figure out getting a close ratio set and a LSD swapped in. My question is will I have any issues getting a transmission from not my year? I know the 2003 uses a different linkage than any of the other duratecs. Is that just something different with the chassis and I should be able to get a newer transmission?

Also another issue im having is the engine in the car is around 150k miles and its starting to get some blow by. The engine in the car is the 2.3l and sourcing another is proving to be expensive when I'm not really even wanting the 2.3l as the 2.3l puts me into an open class and id prefer use the 2.0. I can find an 05 2.0 with low miles and for like $500. Does anyone know of what will need to be changed to do this? Ive heard that it basically drops in and I can keep the same wiring harness and the ecu. I'm planning on getting a tune from Tom so I'm hoping that with a tune the 2.0 could work with what I have.

I think for the transmission issues it may be synchros.

As for the engine and transmission I think everything should bolt right up from the 2.3L to the 2.0L. As I remember, the MTX75 for all Duratecs motors are the same, just not for the Zetec.

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Saleen Focus, '17 Focus RS
Third gear synchro is a common design flaw in the Focus, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is the culprit. Also when was the last time you had any maintenance performed on the transmission?

CFM has a Quaife LSD on their site, it's a bit pricey considering how cheap our Focus are these days. http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...-Focus-Duratec-Zetec-66p1583.htm#.V-M-va0g5hE

Don't forget there are lots of 2005-06 ZX4 ST that also used the 2.3L Duratec "D23" back in the days, but yes you should be to drop the 2.0L right in since it's essentially the same motor including the wiring. However, you may need to re-tune the ECU due to the different displacement, perhaps [MENTION=63]1turbofocus[/MENTION] could be able to answer that question.

OP
ChaosXIII

ChaosXIII

Thread Starter #4
Yeah I had been looking at the Quaife LSD and the M Factory one. M factory is actually pretty close to where I live and I was thinking about asking them for some advice and a quote for installing their diff and close ratio gear set. I wonder if synchros would come in a close ratio kit or I would have to buy other stuff. Glad to hear that the mtx75 remained the same though so i can drop in a quick used one.
Does anyone know why the shift linkage assembly for the 2003 is different than the 2005+?
I really like my 2.3l but i don't like being in the open class when i should be in group 2. Debating whether to buy a blown 2.0 cheap to rebuild it into a race engine or to just keep replacing it with stock engines. I don't have much experience with engine building so I don't know what I would be getting myself into.

Claim it as a 2.0 and dont worry about it till you get winning , When you get willing to where it matters I can help you with a 2.0 build that will keep you winning

Tom

OP
ChaosXIII

ChaosXIII

Thread Starter #6
Well okay. I will keep taking care of this engine and hoping it doesn't pop during a race. At some point I need will need to freshen thing up. One of the pressing issues now is the 3rd gear grind, I don't want to dnf from an expensive race because of something silly like that. I'm wondering what year of a transmission I should try to source at low miles. The transmissions from 2003 are pretty high in miles, but I can find a low mileage transmission from a later year, but I don't know if ill run into any issues. I want to pull my transmission out and get it rebuilt with close ratio gears and an LSD and have a used transmission in it in the mean time.

Slowfoc

Your Focus uses a MTX-75 which is fairly common. They're on every manual focus after 2005, on every Duratec, and even on some Zetecs after 2002(?). The third gear grind if fairly common unfortunately, as mine does the same thing at high rpms. Personally, I would keep a spare trans with me incase of failure, but upgrading the diff to an LSD should help ease the strain on the synchro to prolong third gear from grenading itself.

As for the engine, you'll be hardpressed to pop the Duratec. They weren't given that name for no reason! With these motors, the most common mechanical issue is the alternator. I've not heard many people popping a stock internal D20 or D23 unless they were pushing too much boost. Even under constant abuse... Your third gear will grenade long before your motor does.

Finding a MTX-75 is very easy, and even if the shifter cables don't fit, the shifter assembly for the transaxle is a quick swap.

boon_axe

Hi, I have a 5 year old MK2.5 with 53k kilometers in it. I sometimes hear it whining in 1st gear to about >2k rpm then shifts to 2nd. I had no problem with that. But a few times after slowing to nearly a stop then accelerating, it engages 1st gear to what almost feels like engine braking then suddenly goes to 2nd gear roughly. Can somebody tell me if this is pretty common or is there a problem?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

I think for the transmission issues it may be synchros.

As for the engine and transmission I think everything should bolt right up from the 2.3L to the 2.0L. As I remember, the MTX75 for all Duratecs motors are the same, just not for the Zetec.
Hey, I'm new to the forum. My dad recently told me that he was going to give me his 2007 see that he bought brand new. The transmission has been missing 2nd, 4th, and reverse for a little over a year now, and it finally quit about a week ago. We we're looking for a new or used trans for under $300, but all I could find for the 4 speed auto was a 2008 trans. Will this just bolt up to the 2.0l svt engine? Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Focus SVT 0
L Focus ST 8