Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

Starting/ Charging issue

City
Royal Center
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2001 Focus
I replaced the alternator battery the car is fine for a day or 2 but then it wont srart and needs a quick 5 to 10 second jump. Any suggestions as to what may be the issue would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

BellyUpSPI

City
Tukwila
State
WA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2003 Ford Focus
I replaced the alternator battery the car is fine for a day or 2 but then it wont srart and needs a quick 5 to 10 second jump. Any suggestions as to what may be the issue would greatly be appreciated. Thanks
Possibly defective parts, or installed incorrectly, causing a drain on the battery. If you have access to a voltmeter, check the battery voltage before attempting to start, should be close to 13 volts if fully charged. With fully charged battery, start the engine and check to see if alternator is charging, again, should be 13 or more volts. If not charging, look for wiring that may not be connected properly, and also be sure that the belt is properly adjusted. Finally, you may have to remove the alternator, and the battery, and have them tested at your local auto parts store.
If you are reluctant to remove/replace battery and alternator again so quickly, and if you can let the car sit for a few days, make sure that the battery is fully charged, then check it again each of the next couple of days to see if you get same or different readings. A good battery of course will give the same reading each day, but a bad cell in the battery, or an electrical drain somewhere will deplete the battery charge.