Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

Does A/C compressor run constantly, whether switched on or not?

City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 Focus SE hatch
I was told the A/C compressor on my 2014 SE runs all the time, whether switched on or not. Where it's located beneath the crankshaft pulley, I can't see if the clutch is actually engaged when running, unless I drop the belly pan. I know some cars with complex automatic climate control systems run their compressor all the time--especially luxury ones with large engines--but I was surprised to hear the 2.0 car with simple, manual A/C would. I'm not curious enough to jack up the car and undo the pan today, but I would like to know if all the time I drive with A/C 'off,' thinking I'm being economical, I'm just fooling myself!

kodpkd

City
Loveland
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2014 focus
I wondered the same thing on my 2013. I have tried to see if I can hear or feel it coming on but I can't. I also tested it for fuel mileage and can't tell the difference. I think go for it and have it on when you need it.