Salt Lake
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Edge SE Ecoboost 2.0L
Hey all -

When I bought my 2016 Ford Edge from CarMax in 2019, it wasn't long after that I noticed a "knock" sound and a physical jerk when it shifted into 3rd gear. I'm not a mechanic or even very car savvy, and I didn't think much of it. It started at 36k miles, and now it is 90k miles with proactive maintenance. (I put 44k miles on it over 4-ish years, most of the time with this "knock.")

Last week I was getting ready for a road trip to Oregon, and I took it in for a preventative transmission service when a friend recommended it, not knowing that this 3rd gear "knock" was a big deal. The transmission shop drove it around and identified a major "flare," or, as I understand it, a "slip" in the trans when it shifts into 3rd gear.

They told me absolutely not to go to Oregon (I would likely end up on the side of the road somewhere), and that I shouldn't even drive it around town before getting it completely rebuilt (quoted $6k). They also said a fluid service would not even be worth it because the trans was too far gone.

I visited 3 more transmission shops - and this is the conflicting information I received from each:

- First shop: Trans needs to be replaced immediately, and it isn't possible to buy "new" transmissions, so they have to order used ones that have pros and cons (# of miles on it, quality of fluid)
- Second shop: Don't drive it at all; we re-build entire transmissions in-house, so bring it in sooner than later because we can possibly salvage parts
- Third shop: Trans needs to be rebuilt, but you can drive it until it breaks, and then come get it "rebuilt" (not sure if that means ordering a used one or having it taken apart and then put back together in the shop)

So, my questions are:
- What am I dealing with here?
- What is the truth about rebuilding transmissions? Are they ordered or physically rebuilt?
- Is it true that I can drive it until it breaks, or is it true that a shop could salvage parts if I get it fixed now?
- How much should a rebuild cost?
- How much longer could my car last with this trans "knock" into 3rd gear?

Thanks!
Lance