Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

2012 Focus DCT Replacement Cost

I know there is a thread on this already but for some reason I couldn't post on it.

My 2012 Ford Focus Titanium clutch just gave up, I have 148k miles on the car. The car has had 2 recall on the transmission since I bought it. Ford changed the TCM 2 times, got stuck on the freeway 3 times with the car going in neutral while driving at 70 mph....

Anyway, the dealer cost to replace the clutch with 2 new actuators and the back seal is $2500... not cover under the extended 10/150k warranty.

I have decided to do the work myself....lot's of surprises!
I had to get a OTC puller to remove the clutch, get a VCM II to reprogram the TCM with the new clutch and the ford diagnostic software.

The new clutch was $369 with new c-clips and lubricant, the VCM II cost $130 (from a chinesse web site) The OTC puller was $410+ shipping through ford parts website. So fare I will be saving a lot of money but I am not calculating my time!

Ill keep you guys updated on this work as I have just removed the transmission out of the car.

Hope this help in getting you guys informed.
Acta

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Saleen Focus, '17 Focus RS
Great looking forward to your updates.

OP
A
Thread Starter #3
Time for an update and would like to apologize for the delays in getting some news. The clutch replacement ended about 2 weeks ago. The OTC puller was back order everywhere I was trying to get it from, lost about 4 weeks just on that! Once received it, the removal of the trany started. I got a hold of the helm service manual which ended up pretty useful for this process. There is also 2 very good video in YouTube about clutch replacement that I will link in another post. The OTC puller is a must for this work, made the clutch removal and installation very easy. Once the clutch was removed I found that the clutch slave bearing was completely destroyed! Which was probably the issues, waited another 2 weeks to get the parts! Once that In order, I started to reassembling everything. No the fun begins..... for the IDS to work properly after several tries, during the process I had to start the engine but I encounter some issues with the starter...... no crank!! And keep getting a low voltage warning..... geeezzz!!!
Got a hold of the parts store near my house (O'Reilly) got a "rebuilt starter" and exchange the parts. I found that I had connected a wrong ground to the starter.....I hate myself at this point
Once the new starter was on the car started and finished the learning process of the new clutch, again the YouTube video was very, very helpful!
Ran the car for a week with no issues, no more issues with the car, so happy with everything, car is running smoother than ever..... until..... this weekend.... what now? The car won't start, same clicking than before, I'm like "what now, battery? Starter? Wait no it's a new one... well refurbished.... alright got a lemon.... changed the battery and got another starter.... now car won't even clic.... tried to jump the relay to see if I got another bad starter, no voltage going through the relay now..... I'm stuck guys

If anyone's has any idea please comment below.

Thanks!
Acta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A
Thread Starter #6
Time for an update and would like to apologize for the delays in getting some news. The clutch replacement ended about 2 weeks ago. The OTC puller was back order everywhere I was trying to get it from, lost about 4 weeks just on that! Once received it, the removal of the trany started. I got a hold of the helm service manual which ended up pretty useful for this process. There is also 2 very good video in YouTube about clutch replacement that I will link in another post. The OTC puller is a must for this work, made the clutch removal and installation very easy. Once the clutch was removed I found that the clutch slave bearing was completely destroyed! Which was probably the issues, waited another 2 weeks to get the parts! Once that In order, I started to reassembling everything. No the fun begins..... for the IDS to work properly after several tries, during the process I had to start the engine but I encounter some issues with the starter...... no crank!! And keep getting a low voltage warning..... geeezzz!!!
Got a hold of the parts store near my house (O'Reilly) got a "rebuilt starter" and exchange the parts. I found that I had connected a wrong ground to the starter.....I hate myself at this point
Once the new starter was on the car started and finished the learning process of the new clutch, again the YouTube video was very, very helpful!
Ran the car for a week with no issues, no more issues with the car, so happy with everything, car is running smoother than ever..... until..... this weekend.... what now? The car won't start, same clicking than before, I'm like "what now, battery? Starter? Wait no it's a new one... well refurbished.... alright got a lemon.... changed the battery and got another starter.... now car won't even clic.... tried to jump the relay to see if I got another bad starter, no voltage going through the relay now..... I'm stuck guys

If anyone's has any idea please comment below.

Thanks!
Acta

OP
A
Thread Starter #8
Do you happened to have the push button start?
Yes and I might have found the issue!

If you look closely at the starter on the pic, the lock washer actually touches the ground....
I'll know for sure tomorrow since I returned the unit under warranty.

Stay tune

OP
A
Thread Starter #12
Little update after 3k miles of the new clutch replacement. Been running like a charm!! Had to changed the starter again.... finally bought a OEM and problem solved, I guess trying to go cheap doesn’t always work lol