Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

Sunroof Adhesive??

Hey all,

Having an interesting issue.. I've only owned my Focus for ~3.5 weeks, but whenever I use the sunroof for a decent period of time (30+ minutes) and then try to close it, it gets stuck to a degree. What happens is, it acts like it's going to close, then goes back, and it will repeat this process 4-5 times with me hitting the button to close it before it finally closes. I've noticed that after having it open for any period of time, and then closing it, that this blackish/grey adhesive appears on the top. I know it's coming from when the sunroof is opened because I've completed removed it with adhesive remover, opened the sunroof, and BAM! there's more of the shit.. I've basically stopped opening the sunroof at this point because I'm afraid that stuff building up will cause issues for the sunroof motor.

My thoughts are that this is some kind of sealant or something of that nature that is getting hot, melting a bit, and then building up on the sunroof glass while it's open, and then causing issues when I try to close it.

Anyone else have any ideas or solutions? Took it to the dealer but it was after cleaning the sunroof so they were unable to replicate the issue and sent me on my merry way.

Thanks!

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Saleen Focus, '17 Focus RS
Is it still under warranty? I would suggest letting the dealer handle this, you can also request to see if your dealer provides a free loaner for warranty work.

OP
I
Thread Starter #3
Yeah it is, and I think that's what I'll end up doing. Wasn't sure if anyone else had a similar issue or not. I took it by the place that I got it (not a ford dealership) and they said they weren't able to replicate the issue, which means they didn't do anything because as soon as I got in the car it did it so... I'll probably hit up my local Ford dealership this weekend.

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Yeah it is, and I think that's what I'll end up doing. Wasn't sure if anyone else had a similar issue or not. I took it by the place that I got it (not a ford dealership) and they said they weren't able to replicate the issue, which means they didn't do anything because as soon as I got in the car it did it so... I'll probably hit up my local Ford dealership this weekend.
Next time if it happens just pull out your phone and take a video.

When it comes to problems with sunroof, its probably better if the dealer fixes it as you don't want to take a chance with potential leaks trying to fix it yourself, especially when its still under warranty. Either case, welcome to the forum.

OP
I
Thread Starter #5
Hey all,

Just an update - Finally got it to a dealer who could "replicate" the issue - 3rd trip!! They figured out that it appears to be an issue with the sound dampening material that's on the sunroof. Apparently the material came loose, and whenever the sunroof is open, the adhesive/glue that was used to put that on is heating up, loosening, and then sticking to the glass and causing an issue when I try to close it. Solution? They've got to remove the headliner in the car and get all of that gunk out of the sunroof area, replace the sound dampening material and then put the headliner back in - So my beloved Focus is out of commission for a few days.

Just glad it's getting fixed though!

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thanks for the update and glad you're getting it taken care of under warranty. Sounds like it could have been labor intensive doing it on your own.

Hey all,

Just an update - Finally got it to a dealer who could "replicate" the issue - 3rd trip!! They figured out that it appears to be an issue with the sound dampening material that's on the sunroof. Apparently the material came loose, and whenever the sunroof is open, the adhesive/glue that was used to put that on is heating up, loosening, and then sticking to the glass and causing an issue when I try to close it. Solution? They've got to remove the headliner in the car and get all of that gunk out of the sunroof area, replace the sound dampening material and then put the headliner back in - So my beloved Focus is out of commission for a few days.

Just glad it's getting fixed though!