Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Oil Drinking Problem

OneWound

City
Cedar Rapids
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Hi,

My GF has a 2016 Ford Fiesta SE with ~ 96K miles (bought used at ~ 25K). Since ~70K miles, I've taken over servicing her vehicle (tire rotations every oil change, filter + oil every 10K, recently did the brakes at 80K). Since about 90K miles, I've started to notice that the oil level has been decreasing. At 96K, I'd say its approximately half a quart per 1,000 miles (assuming the distance between the two dashes is one quart). Here are my initial observations:
  1. She nor I notice smoke coming out of the exhaust during start up.
  2. There is no oil on the ground.
  3. I have noticed that there is oil on the inter-cooler before, but recently it's been dry every time I check it.
I'm not a car guy, so I don't know where to start with losing oil. Help please and thank you?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Given the miles, I would have to guess that there is a fair amount of crankcase blow-by? If you start the engine and allow it to Idle, twist the oil filler cap loose. If there is excessive blow-by the cap will be pushed off forcefully into your hand as you remove it.
I assume that you have a 1.0 Ecoboost engine, you mentioned an intercooler. If that is the case, are you aware of any history of the engine being overheated? An overheating incident could have damaged one or more of the piston rings that have a direct effect on both compression and oil control. I would suggest that you have the cylinder compression checked out and a close inspection of the spark plugs by a qualified mechanic. If that checks out within spec, you might want to consider changing the oil to a 5W30 full synthetic. This would be a possible way to reduce oil consumption. But the cost of this "fix" is going to be a slight decrease in fuel economy. In any case. You should have a clear understanding of the situation from a mechanics inspection.

OP
O

OneWound

City
Cedar Rapids
State
IA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #3
Sorry for the late follow-up,

I did what you said and the cap "bounced" on the oil intake. If I would have let it run, I'm sure it would have come off. But I didn't feel excessive force. The engine is the 1.6L 4 cyl, no turbo. I assumed that I have an "oil intercooler" as there is a block, with lines from the (assumed) radiator, where the oil filter mounts.

What's the nominal compression I should see on the cylinder?

Is there any current data on how long the rings should last on a fiesta engine? My gut tells me ~100k is a bit early for rings, but I don't much about car engines (I like two wheels more than four).

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
The distance between the dashes isn't a quart. It's a few ounces. I suspect that perhaps the previous owner didn't care for the car like you do. Break in is still important, even though some people think it isn't.

If it doesn't seem to be leaking oil anywhere, it must be burning it, somehow. I'd go with full synthetic and see if that helps.