Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

New own 2012Ford Focus

rcairflr

City
Wichita
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Focus
I am a new owner of a used 2012 Ford Focus. Car looks brand new with 103000 miles. I drove it about 100 miles since buying it. Drives great with no issues that I can tell.
since buying it I've done some reading (better late than never) and see that there are a lot of issues with the Automatic transmission.. So my question is:
Did I screw up buying a used Ford Focus with an Automatic transmission? Thanks for any replies.

OP
R

rcairflr

City
Wichita
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Focus
Thread Starter #2
I registered the vehicle at Ford and here's what I found under recalls:
1. FIELD SERVICE ACTION
TRANSMISSION CLUTCH SHUDDER / TRANSMISSION INPUT SHAFT SEAL WARRANTY EXTENSION
Field Service Action Number:
14M01 VIN:1FAHP3E24CL386120

2. FIELD SERVICE ACTION
TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE
Field Service Action Number:
14M02 VIN:1FAHP3E24CL386120

OP
R

rcairflr

City
Wichita
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Focus
Thread Starter #3
Also found a recall due for the
FUEL TANK DEFORMATION

OP
R

rcairflr

City
Wichita
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Focus
Thread Starter #4
I've read where even at its best the Auto transmission in the Focus doesn't not feel as good as a normal Auto transmission, but it feels pretty silky smooth in this car, especially while shifting up.

Tom

Staff Team
City
Sacramento
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
'05 Saleen Focus, '17 Focus RS
Reach out to Ford to see if they can still perform the transmission recall fix on your car since you barely above the 100k mark.

OP
R

rcairflr

City
Wichita
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Focus
Thread Starter #6
@Tom > thanks for the reply. i went and talked to the local Ford Service department. The only thing due on this car is the Fuel Tank inspection. All other Recalls have been done.
He told me the TCM has a 10 years 150K warranty. So at least I don't have to worry about the TCM for over 2 years.
The car really drives good and the transmission feels great. If I can get 3-4 years trouble free use out of this car, it will have been worth the cost.
I use it as my everyday driver. My 2002 Hyundai Elantra got totalled by a guy who ran a red light. Got a pretty good settlement from his insurance for the Elantra.

What I Drive
2013 Focus SE and 2015 Focus H/B
Congrats on the new car. I've had the transmission work done on both my daughter's Focus (13 & 15), and they both run great now. At first they just reflashed the car and it felt great, but after a while the studder would come back. If you start feeling any hesitation on the transmission, get it in to get the job done.

OP
R

rcairflr

City
Wichita
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Focus
Thread Starter #8
Thanks Armando > The car really does drive nice. The lady I bought it from is a Master Sargeant in the Air Force and is being transferred. The car looks basically brand new. She took really good care of it as far as I can tell.
I changed the engine oil today (she said she put it off since she was selling it), used Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 and Wix oil filter. I had the oil on hand since it is the same I use in my Ram 1500

City
Suwanee
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 SES, RIP 2008 S 5speed
Not to rant or dump on you.... but I won't buy a 100$ wireless drill on Amazon without researching price and reading at least 30 customer reviews. The transmissions issues are well documented since 2012 and the reviews for the mark three focus are not good. Did you just make a $10,000 purchase without research??? If the answer is yes than you get what you deserve. From what I have read the new "dry" clutch automatic tend to get hot.... Since heat is the number one killer of most engine or transmission parts... try and keep it cool and check out Forums before you buy. Not sure where the disconnect was at Ford. I spend most of time trying to keep my automatic transmission cool. temperate gauges.. Extra cooler… spin on filter.. but for some reason Ford decided that an automatic transmission did not require fluid??? Crazy how the Focus went from one of the most reliable cars on the road from 2000 until 2011 to one of the worst from 2012 on. That is why I own a couple mark 2 Focus but wont even look at a mark 3.... but i actually research larger purchases.

I have never been a fan of automatics in little 4 cylinders.

OP
R

rcairflr

City
Wichita
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Focus
Thread Starter #10
@Paul Rondelli > Thank you for your post. Not sure where the $10,000 purchase came from. I actually paid $4000

What I Drive
2013 Focus SE and 2015 Focus H/B
I assume that guy was referring to me?
If so, I did do my research, and I didn't pay close to $10k for either. Plus, one only had 25k miles, the other about 45k. With that said, other than the transmission issue they are great get around cars that could last you a good long time with proper maintenance. With the transmission work now done, we have an extended warranty for another 30k miles/3 years. I really don't expect either of them to have the cars any longer than three years. For the price and condition of both, I have no worries about my purchase. I've bought plenty of cars and have had them beyond 200k miles (with proper maintenance), simply because I've done my research on every one of them. Ironically, my worst purchase was a Ford Windstar... learned my lesson there.

OP
R

rcairflr

City
Wichita
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Focus
Thread Starter #12
@Armando > I am not sure what transmission work everyone keeps talking about. The car runs and drives perfect and the transmission is very smooth.
When I talked to the local Ford dealer they didn't mention anything that needed done.
So far I really like the car. I've added an aftermarket cruise control, forward and aft viewing dashcams and a nice Garmin Drivesmart 61 GPS.