Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Koni STR.T shock and strut discussion.....

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
This thread is for those who are considering or have installed the Koni " orange" STR.T. product to share and discuss. This one is a non adjustable type that is compatible with the common choices of available lowering coils for both Basic and ST Fiesta.
The front LH # 8750-1101L. Front RH #8750-1101R
The rear # 8050-1130
There are no differences between Basic and ST applications according to Tirerack website.

konisrtorrange.jpg

Last edited:
OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #2
I will be installing this set of Koni STR.T dampers on my blue 2011 hatchback. They showed up a day sooner than expected! The beauty of being so close to South Bend Tirerack.
I have decided to go with this H&R spring set. They are not the SuperSport version. I plan to use the stock 15 inch aluminum wheel shod with 195-60 tires.
I'm just waiting for a few O.E. parts now. A couple of front upper strut bearings and some new rear spring insulators. The spring set is H&R #51641.

20210408_141742.jpg 20210408_151333.jpg

Last edited:

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
HMMMMMM, pretty orange shocks! Can't wait to get mine!
1617915339886.png

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
A couple of front upper strut bearings and some new rear spring insulators.
Can you post the part numbers for the strut bearings and rear spring insulators? Thanks!

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #5
Can you post the part numbers for the strut bearings and rear spring insulators? Thanks!
Here they are! I am most curious about the one described as "Antisqueak" it is much more $ than i recall in 2013. I have read that some ST owners have mentioned that ford service parts are better grade on these. The original rear spring insulators were not impressive. I'm being kind.

[

ATTACH=full]4949[/ATTACH] 20210408_170604.jpg

City
STL
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE
Who needs spring insulators? Because racecar.
Removing them gets you a tad lower too.

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #7
I didn't like the popping and crunching sounds that the rear springs made. I think that the big issue is that the rear springs don't have much load on them. My guess. For example, if you jack up a rear wheel it is a no tools required job to remove a coil spring. The typical lowering coils are so easily compressed that it's not tough to simply grab it and pop it out.

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Let us know how those spring Squeak - de-squeakers' (is that a word? Google isn't flogging - er flagging it) work out.

Kinda curious to know what they look like...

More stuff to ADD

1685885561975.png

Last edited:
OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #9
I will post pics of the parts as soon as I have them! I will show the old ones too. I have not driven my 2011 since I bought the 16 FiST. I reinstalled the stock dampers and moved the Koni sports onto the FiST, along with several other special parts.

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #10
Ok. Some rear suspension parts came in. First up is the upper "anti squeak". It looks just like the one Andy has installed images of. This is a big improvement over the one in my 2011. That earlier one is made of the same lightweight black plastic that the lower insulator is still made from. Those are the rear spring insulators.

20210412_184259.jpg 20210412_184604.jpg

OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #11
The second area is the upper bump stop and splash shield for the rear shock.
I have an issue with what I got.
This one is important. The part i received is substantially different. They are not only shorter, they also lack the piston shield. I don't see how the new bump stop is a correct part. These are going back.
This one is very important for the protection of the shock piston.
Inspite of the first image of the two STR.T dampers i posted, we do not get the rear shocks with new upper bump stops and splash shields. The #2 image of the shock and strut on the box they came in is exactly what we get. Just to be clear about that.
I intend to get new upper bump stops and shields. I will need to use one of the used ones shown here on the Bilstein dampers going on the Jolly project, because one of those is broken or gone from the the O.E. rear shocks.

20210412_182122.jpg

Last edited:
OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #12
The rear shocks that are providing the upper mounting brackets. They are from a totalled Fiesta i bought for parts, they are used up. 20210412_174853.jpg

The upper bracket is fastened to the shock piston with one 10m nut. You will need a pair of vise grips and a 10 mm wrench. The bracket and shock is bolted into the body tub with two 10 mm bolts. The lower mounting bolt is a 15mm.

20210412_175550.jpg

Last edited:
OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #14
OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #15
These upper bump stop/piston shields are not available as a Ford service part. The one that i received is a front strut bump stop. So that mystery is solved!
These shield/bump stops should have some resale value as a used part along with the top bracket.
20210413_191338.jpg

Last edited:
OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #16
I went to NAPA and looked at a kit they had in stock from Strut-Mate. The bump stop looked ok but the convolute plastic shield was over 4 inches shorter than the stock type of piston shield. That translates into more dirt on the piston. Plus the cost was $35 a kit. I decided to try my luck someplace else. 20210413_150818.jpg

Last edited:
OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #17
This artists rendering is of the KYB SB125. The stated dimensions are very close to the O.E. part we can't get from ford without buying a whole shock absorber. KY_SB125_Fro.jpg

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
OP
scotman

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Thread Starter #19
Thanks! I am trying to find the last few bits and pieces that are needed to do the strut and shock install on both Fiestas. I aimed to have everything gathered by the 15 th. That plan is quickly sinking.

City
BERKLEY
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 SES HB
Hey, gang. New to this particular forum, not to the Fiesta. scotman might recognize my name from another Fiesta forum. I may be able to contribute, as i'm in the middle of doing just this upgrade at the moment.

What I'm doing is assembling a complete strut assembly and doing a direct swap, rather than disassemble the originals. I've been mostly opting for OEM parts, except those that I've found were on indeterminate back orders.

I have the KYB rear boot and bumper, and it does look like the stock unit from what I can tell, based on the illustrations at websites like Tasca. It also looks like the Moog part that Lions Tooth posted from Rock. I think the key is they list it as, "OE," style, which should be equivalent to the dealer part.

I'd recommend the OEM dust boot for a couple of reasons. If you look at the clip at the top of the strut body, the spacing between the hooks is sized to accommodate the width of the bottom-most ring on the boot. You can work the boot into the clips to keep the bottom of the boot in place and not bounce around or lift upwards.

Also, the top flange of the boot appears to be intended to act as a spacer between the spring and the seating area on the underside of the bearing. Or maybe it's just supposed to be held in place so that it doesn't wander off. I'm not sure. The factory manual seems to show the flange as placed between the spring and bearing.

If you guys have any questions or need any other photos, let me know, I'm glad to share this info.