Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Help!

Karen77

City
Manchester
State
Non-US
Country
UK
What I Drive
2015 Ford Fiest 1.0 EcoBoost
Any one help? My rear windscreen wiper has stopped working, so has my front ones and the window washers?
I'm totally unsure why it was all fine on Thursday as I clean bird muck off my windows, Friday absolutely nothing. There are no lights on in the car to indicate a fault I've checked the fuses they're fine any ideas appreciated thanks👍

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Ok - checked fuses, show ok, but no action.

Were you aware that you have TWO fuse boxes?

One under the Hood, but another is behind the Glovebox.- remove the Glovebox itself a plastic compartment - you'll see something like this...
1632099649528.png
If you've already checked this then I apologize...but there is more...

You know a Blown fuse looks like ...

1632100667366.png

There are several MAIN fuses located UNDER the hood, in the engines Fusebox, that FEED power to this Body Control Module - often called BCM.

It uses a 60 AMP fuse .

1632100111188.png
You can also check to see if power is getting to the BCM if you can use your Door locks and you have a Horn you should be ok.

However, you will need to VERIFY the power from the Module is getting sent to the Wipers...
1632101025856.png
An example of troubleshooting wiring faults...

1632103445875.png
BUT that doesn't mean the INPUT Fuse even blew to stop the fault. Surges like the current demand of a stuck/stopped or binding motor can ask for more power than the gauge of wire (AWG) can handle and blow internally thru the Wire heading to or from the Fuse box. There is one - that `20 AMP one is the INPUT one so what you can do is use a voltmeter or DVM or even a 12V Tester to see if there is power to the fuse. It has two small "tabs" on the top - tap the DVM to one of these tabs and the other to Ground and start the car.

The reasoning is this:
  • IF the DVM shows power - to and THRU the fuse - then the module is damaged internally from the the excessive current draw or the wires to the wiper motor are open
    • There has to be a 2nd step in this - that you will need to locate the OUTPUT fuse from the Module and check to see if that Fuse is good AND sending power out to the harness to get to the Wiper motor
    • - again a similar process of checking the fuse tabs for power - but you have to set the wiper switch to make them move
    • - and check THOSE fuses to see if power is getting to them from the output of the BCM thru the respective fuses to their motors
      • A further test then would include:
      • - a check to wiring, From the Fuse through the circuit all the way to the connector leading to the motor AS A CONTINUITY Check
        • - to make sure the wiring didn't open up from the surge to the motor from the stuck wiper.
      • - not the easiest thing to do, so you may need to get this into the dealership to have them sort this out.
Worse case scenario is the wire going to the Wiper Motor is bad, opened up. Then you have to run a wire thru to get it to the motor
Easiest case Scenario is where "ground" lug and the Bolt holding it to the frame of the car, is loose or corroded - just replace the lug, clean out the rust and tighten it all back down and seal it with a non-reactive sealant or cover it with waterproof grease to keep corrosion out of the connection.

Last edited:
OP
K

Karen77

City
Manchester
State
Non-US
Country
UK
What I Drive
Thread Starter #4
Thank you I will check under the hood, the glove box fuses I was told are fine so I'll do that when I get home, see if it is that I hope so, thank you,

OP
K

Karen77

City
Manchester
State
Non-US
Country
UK
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
Hi guys thank you for you comments turns out the the guys who valeted my car have soaked the switch that works the wipers, new switch has been ordered it's getting fixed tomorrow thanks for all your advice👍

OP
K

Karen77

City
Manchester
State
Non-US
Country
UK
What I Drive
Thread Starter #6
Hi everyone... on further inspection from the Garage it turns out... the guys that Valeted my car tried to steal some parts out of my steering column, they had unplugged my wipers from inside the steering column, and managed in the process to turn off the power steering and ABS..... they are under investigation by the police and Tesco where they work... the underside of my steering column was removed and because they saw me coming back they just banged it into place.... I'm not a happy chick, so I've told Mr Tesco I want re-embersing the labour I had to pay....

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
They may have been after the Airbags - one in the kick panel for your knees and the other in the steering wheel where you press for horn.

They can fetch up to about $300 bucks off of eBay...

Yeah, I'd be asking a lot more questions...

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Hi everyone... on further inspection from the Garage it turns out... the guys that Valeted my car tried to steal some parts out of my steering column, they had unplugged my wipers from inside the steering column, and managed in the process to turn off the power steering and ABS..... they are under investigation by the police and Tesco where they work... the underside of my steering column was removed and because they saw me coming back they just banged it into place.... I'm not a happy chick, so I've told Mr Tesco I want re-embersing the labour I had to pay....
You've GOT to tell us what happens.