Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Fiesta SE Turbo?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
You know what I am talking about, don't you! I originally called it the "magic hand of mommy" or. The "invisible sandbags"! It really killed the ability to drive it as the momentum car that it should be.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
You know what I am talking about, don't you! I originally called it the "magic hand of mommy" or. The "invisible sandbags"! It really killed the ability to drive it as the momentum car that it should be.
Yeah, miss me with that.
I'm not a "MANUALS ONLY" sort of person at all. Auto trannies are worlds better than they used to be. There's a proper tranny for every car, and it depends on the application.
In the case of the Fiesta, give me a manual every time.
I'd like to find a clean 1.0 with the 6 speed. That's a rare one.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I'd like to get my hands on a complete transmission from the 1.0. But the gearing would be wrong for how we want to use it. Has anyone looked into if the drive axles are the same as the ST box or did the 1.0 share the 1.6 cv axles. Or, God forbid they each have their own versions.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
We always refer to the cvt acceleration-shift feel as "stretchy". I have never driven a cvt that I liked. I understand that the ratios are always in the sweet spot of the power band. But, it still has such a strange feel that I just don't know how to find a way to appreciate.
IMO - the mention of Stretchy and CVT in the same sentence - woof!

IT seems that it's more of a "Cover up" to take some older technology to merge it with a clutch converter then throw together something that works a lot like when you ride a Vespa - and - to tell the world it's the latest and greatest in automatics...

As kids, didn't we do this with Briggs and Stratton motors from the old lawnmower?

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
IMO - the mention of Stretchy and CVT in the same sentence - woof!

IT seems that it's more of a "Cover up" to take some older technology to merge it with a clutch converter then throw together something that works a lot like when you ride a Vespa - and - to tell the world it's the latest and greatest in automatics...

As kids, didn't we do this with Briggs and Stratton motors from the old lawnmower?
Yup. Still a thing.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
1617675844191.png
Doesn't seem to be a fair match but...
She did have this...
1617676016419.png
A CVT!
As you watch the vid, you'll see some problems that are inherent on a "drum" used to convert the spinning motion into a torque, the buffing wheel effect (as I call it) is what makes the Nissan's CVT as well as others a problem child at or around 40K miles. Letting the fluid change go will certainly ruin the transmission - this vid tends to help explain that process of the buffer polish as the ability of the fluid to not only lubricate, but provide the limited slip - and the buffing polish (and the residue) is part of this process.
  • In the vid, and in this system, it's a belt and no lubrication is used (dry system) - or should be needed - the belt being what it is, is for the process of the break-in and the subsequent belt changes provide the longer life - but during the initial break in, there is a lot of torque that is developed and she noticed this.
    • The Belt though did a lot of the work - and paid the price. Remember this when you decide to own a CVT type of transmission - the break in period is important and strict adherence to the change intervals in both time and or miles - needs to be adhered to.
  • Its' when the change interval gets closer does the break in period and the results of the transmission "slush" become more noticeable.
  • Afterwards, the buffed drums (cones) allow for a more gradual change of torque to speed - but the effort to attain the efficiency becomes longer for the smooth surface of the drums are now causing most of the slip - unless you use a stiffer spring to get it to "pinch the cones" back together - the CVT loses out where the Manual Transmission then takes on the better efficiency
  • Some backyard mechanics used to "blend" fluids (Dextron and Type-F) together to form a more thicker viscosity fluid provide the torque converter (Read this as Non-CVT Automatics) something to work against - they used to offer "blends" to achieve specific low-end torque effects - you just had to be careful that you didn't blow a seal - so they didn't race these in winter - obviously...
It seems that once this seating (the buffer wheel polish) is completed in the first break in, the fluid doesn't seem to need as much attention - but then too, many owners also never bother to keep the car after they experienced the transmission failure due to the prolonged oil change or even before the required oil change for the transmission. It's an expensive lesson...may couldn't afford this kind of hit - so they traded it off for something more reliable.

Why do I know this?

Ask my wife...she's the one that wanted it (CVT).

I traded my 5-speed Scion and her '95 Nissan - for the headaches that the thing brings with it.

Caveat Emptor!

But, thanks for sharing the Vid!

Last edited:

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Yup. They suck. Give me a manual or a quick-shifting auto, but CVTs can get on outta here.

Sarah does project cars and car reviews. When she reviews cars, she always talks about the powertrain in detail, which I appreciate. I like her sense of humor, too.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
She's' pretty special when it comes to that - mixes and compares the gears shapes with flowers as like on her fingernails.

Don't see too many like her...