Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Cigar Lighter Problem

City
HASTINGS
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ghia 2005
I have just bought a low mileage Ghia 2005. In my former Zetec I connected the dashcam or phone charger to the lighter. However this socket is dead. I have checked the two 15 amp fuses, yes there are TWO marked cigars!, and still no joy. Has anyone had a duff cigar lighter before?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Given the age of the car, the contacts inside the power receptacle might be very worn or have corrosion. A new one might be needed. Especially if you have power up to the receptacle but nothing in the contact area.
This situation is where a multi ranging voltmeter is a godsend.

OP
F
City
HASTINGS
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ghia 2005
Thread Starter #3
Given the age of the car, the contacts inside the power receptacle might be very worn or have corrosion. A new one might be needed. Especially if you have power up to the receptacle but nothing in the contact area.
This situation is where a multi ranging voltmeter is a godsend.
Thanks Scotman - the contacts down inside the lighter look really bright n shiny. Like the rest of the car! Is it a big deal to remove the lighter? I'm sure even a brand new one is cheap enough.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
It shouldn't be a huge task to gain access and replace the socket. On the mk7 that north America has, the socket is connected with a single plug. This site only really can deal with issues related to the version built in Mexico for the U.S and Canada.
These are a few images of a front power point in an early build (june-2010) fiesta i am breaking up. As you can see, the internal surfaces can become very nasty. Spilled sugary drinks, food debris and dog hair, among other gross things, tend to accumulate until it becomes inop.
Pics of 12v socket in forward area of center console.plus a couple of images of the connector. This might be similar to yours. But, many things have changed in fifteen years.

Attachments

OP
F
City
HASTINGS
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ghia 2005
Thread Starter #5
It shouldn't be a huge task to gain access and replace the socket. On the mk7 that north America has, the socket is connected with a single plug. This site only really can deal with issues related to the version built in Mexico for the U.S and Canada.
These are a few images of a front power point in an early build (june-2010) fiesta i am breaking up. As you can see, the internal surfaces can become very nasty. Spilled sugary drinks, food debris and dog hair, among other gross things, tend to accumulate until it becomes inop.
Pics of 12v socket in forward area of center console.plus a couple of images of the connector. This might be similar to yours. But, many things have changed in fifteen years.
Thanks Scotman, I'll give that a try when I have time. Test the contacts inside the thing then try and extract it :cautious:

OP
F
City
HASTINGS
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ghia 2005
Thread Starter #6
Hi Scotman, Was not an ordeal to remove the plastic cover from around the gear stick. Came off so easily - the previous owner had left the lighter leads & plug loose! Eureka.