Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

Broken Transmission

ChaosXIII

So, at the race last weekend my transmission decided to go and break. The roll pin in the shift tower in my transmission broken when I was in 3rd gear and I can't get the shift tower out of the transmission. My car is a 2003 Focus 2.3l pzev. I want to get a new transmission with a better final drive ratio than the one I have in my transmission, which is 3.41 (?), and I want a shorter ratio. I see some Focuses have been coming with a 3.82 ratio.

Does anyone definitively know which cars have the 3.82 ratio?

Does anyone know what the difference between the transmissions from my year and further years going up until modern Foci?

The shift cables that I have in my car have a part number of 2S4Z-7E395-FC and are from a April 2002-2004 FORD FOCUS Zetec, what years transmissions will this mate up to? I understand the the lengths will be different from the cables due to a different style shifter inside the cabin but are the balls on the shift tower the same size and in the same place?

I found a 2014 transmission with the 3.82 ratio with 14k miles for $400. Will this work with my car?

You have to stick with a 2003 - 2011 Duratec Trans , all will bolt up , dont know about the gearing tho , Ford made a 4.10 gear as well but hard to find now , quaife makes some MTX-75 gears as well

2012-2017 is a different trans , dont know but dont think it will work

Tom

OP
ChaosXIII

ChaosXIII

Thread Starter #3
Hey, so I did manage to fix this. After a lot of messing around I was able to get the shift tower out of the top of the transmissions and I replaced the roll pin with a high grade bolt.