Welcome to the #1 Ford Ranger Forum and Ford Ranger community dedicated to Ford Ranger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Ranger Forum today!

4x4 locking Hub Failure

mrgem

City
Golden
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
1994 Ranger XLT 4WD
We own a 94 Ranger 4x4 with the 4.0 engine and a 5-speed manual. It's exclusive use is to keep the long drive to our mountain cabin cleared of snow using tire chains and a 6-foot plow. It's given me good service for the last 15 years - despite being asked to push hundreds of pounds of wet, heavy snow -- often uphill. It's a workhorse.

It failed a couple of weeks ago when one of its 2 aftermarket locking hubs (manual) literally exploded while I was pushing a 6-foot-- high pile of snow-- causing the front wheel drive to quit. I had to call in a local excavator to clear the road with his 4x4 front end loader. That was not cheap and I don't want to rely on doing that in the future. I need my truck back in service.

What I found when I checked it out was not only the manual hub housing (Mile Marker) breaking, but 3 of the 5 wheel lugs on that wheel had backed out from the splined holes on the back of the hub/rotor.

When I tried to remove the wheel in the conventional manner, the 3 studs simply spun. After that, I attempted to remove the entire wheel and hub, using the special socket with 4 tangs to engage the outer wheel bearing nut. I got a 1/2 inch ratchet, and turned and turned on that nut -- to no avail. Aside from backing off the spindle 1/8 inch, it just stopped loosening -- even after an hour of wrenching. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that someone at some point, installed the manual hubs using an air wrench and cross threaded the threaded some of the threads.

I'm stuck -- I've got 3 lugs that cannot be loosened and an outer wheel bearing nut that refuses to loosen so I cannot remove the hub and wheel as an assembly.

Any ideas as to how I might get this thing apart to replace the hub, rotor and bearings?