Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2011 Ford Fiesta 1.4i Water Pump Change (Timing Belt change)

Ashlan

City
Durban
State
Non-US
Country
South Africa
What I Drive
2011 Ford Fiesta 1.4i Titanium
Hi All

So i've been having some heating issues and would like to change my water pump to rule it out (while i'm at it, i'm going to change the timing belt). I'd like to attempt it myself and wouldn't mind some advise on my engine type and tips on how to do it effectively.

I have a 2011, 1.4i however i'm not sure if my engine has cams with clutches or its just the gear, this would affect the timing tool i would need to purchase to get this done. below is an image of the engine.

Attachments

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Well, that looks just like my USA 1.6, but, I can't say the internals are the same. You might have to find a Fiesta forum for your model (European or South African...not sure what was sold there).

OP
Ashlan

Ashlan

City
Durban
State
Non-US
Country
South Africa
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
European models were sold here. Its difficult because id like to identify the type of cams I have before I strip it. And to take off the cover to reveal the cams I need to take off the mounting

OP
Ashlan

Ashlan

City
Durban
State
Non-US
Country
South Africa
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
Those videos are helpful. Thank you. I'll give the dealership a call aswell

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I would strongly recommend that you use a Ford service replacement belt and Ford water pump. I have seen some less than impressive belts offered as equivalent replacements.

OP
Ashlan

Ashlan

City
Durban
State
Non-US
Country
South Africa
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
I would strongly recommend that you use a Ford service replacement belt and Ford water pump. I have seen some less than impressive belts offered as equivalent replacements.
Agreed, that's exactly what i did. All went well in the replacement, my temps are significantly lower and i'm happy with performance. Yet to do another long distance trip as a true test however she should handle it well.

I did realize something with regards to my radiator flush, the expansion tank has various compartments and when i removed it to access the cam belt i noticed a residue which i assume was left by the flush, this is probably whats affecting the colour of my coolant. I don't think its a problem though because she's running well. In my next coolant change i'll replace my expansion tank as a precautionary measure.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I agree. That expansion tank is a time bomb! I have replaced the tank on my 2011. The cost of a new one is much less than a tow, let alone the repair cost if the engine overheats.
I would be very uncomfortable with driving a Fiesta that is over five years old and not knowing that the expansion tank was replaced! They become embrittled and weak as time goes on.
Not prioritizing them for replacement within four or five years of use is playing with fire.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
I agree. That expansion tank is a time bomb! I have replaced the tank on my 2011. The cost of a new one is much less than a tow, let alone the repair cost if the engine overheats.
I would be very uncomfortable with driving a Fiesta that is over five years old and not knowing that the expansion tank was replaced! They become embrittled and weak as time goes on.
Not prioritizing them for replacement within four or five years of use is playing with fire.
Got mine via Amazon; will install it next weekend, and report back.
1631805197808.png

Last edited: