Welcome to the #1 Ford Focus Forum and Ford Focus community dedicated to Ford Focus owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Focus Forum today!

2010 Focus howling at the moon (and the sun!)

Dewey

I have a 2010 SES with 80,000 miles. A few months ago, it started making a howling noise. At first, I thought it was cupped tires, but now I am thinking wheel bearings, because it makes a noise at nearly all speeds, although when I am going less than 10 or 15 mph, it's more of a growling than a howling (lower pitch). I jacked up all 4 wheels and checked for play and found absolutely none. I also did the half shaft test where you crank the wheel hard and lightly accelerate while listening for noise and heard none. What does the brain trust here think? Front wheel bearings? Is this common on these at this mileage point? It seems like it's coming from the front... Any known issues with the rear? Thanks for the help!

I have a 2010 SES with 80,000 miles. A few months ago, it started making a howling noise. At first, I thought it was cupped tires, but now I am thinking wheel bearings, because it makes a noise at nearly all speeds, although when I am going less than 10 or 15 mph, it's more of a growling than a howling (lower pitch). I jacked up all 4 wheels and checked for play and found absolutely none. I also did the half shaft test where you crank the wheel hard and lightly accelerate while listening for noise and heard none. What does the brain trust here think? Front wheel bearings? Is this common on these at this mileage point? It seems like it's coming from the front... Any known issues with the rear? Thanks for the help!
Replacing the wheel bearing would be my first choice if you've already test the drive shafts.